Create A Character Clinic
A Step-by-Step Class in Create Deeper, Better Fictional People
QUICK COURSE DESCRIPTION: How to create fresh, interesting characters in about in about 15 minutes, how to write them so they live on the page, and how develop them over time for your story OR series.
You can create and write characters who live and breathe on the page; who capture the attention of readers, agents, and editors; who drive your story from a compelling start to a captivating ending.
It's not a trick, it's not some gift of the Fiction Fairy bestowed on only a few. You have everything you need within you to start creating brilliant characters today.
If you jumpstart with the Shadow Room exercise, you can know enough about your first new, compelling character to start writing about him...in about 15 minutes.
Try that now with the free Shadow Room exercise download here:
Download contains MP3 instructions
and PDF worksheets
My system is simple and step-by-step. I break character development down into techniques you can start following immediately. I'll show you what I do, and then take you through doing it yourself.
And I keep it short---you shouldn't have to wade through tons of words to find the few kernels of useful knowledge that you can start applying to your own work. So that you can start using it right away, this book is divided into three sections.
- Section One is Ask Them Anything: I explain---and then demonstrate---each of seven critical areas of character development, along with giving you printable charts offering questions that will give you a well-rounded framework for your characters. Answer as few or as many questions as you need to get a feel for the people you'll be writing about, and ask (and answer) more as you work through your story and need new twists and turns.
- Section Two is Bring Them To Life---A tutorial on how to put all the information you've developed into creating people who live on the page.
- Section Three is The Sins of Characterization (And How to Commit Them Well)---Believe it or not, almost everything you can ever do wrong in putting characters on the page, you can also do right. Here I show you when a writing sin can be a virtue, and vice-versa.
All three sections include demonstrations of both unpublishable and publishable approaches to techniques and problems, and exercises that allow you to put what you've learned into practice. I want to make this as close as I can to me reading over your shoulder, looking at what you've done, and saying, "Okay. Here's what you can try next to get that character moving."
Included in the price of your purchase, you can download:
- Printable worksheets
- A worksheet demo where I develop a new character using my techniques to show you exactly how it's done
- An MP3 of the jumpstart SHADOW ROOM technique (also available on this page)---I'll talk you through the exercise so you can stay focused on writing
- Printable charts to keep handy for when you're writing characters who fall flat, and you need new directions for them
With Create A Character Clinic, you'll:
- Write characters who are fascinating and believable
- Give your characters compelling needs that resonate with readers
- Use the seven critical areas of character development to prevent "cardboard characters" and address areas of your characters' lives you've never considered before
- Develop your characters' individual voices, making each immediately recognizable from all the rest
- Discover three unique ways of presenting your character to your reader throughout the story, and use each to your story's best benefit
- Avoid fifteen huge sins writers commit with their characters, or better yet, use them so well they surprise, excite, and delight your readers
- And much more
Today, right now, you can turn your characters into people YOU want to read about---because if YOU aren't desperate to know what happens to them next, your readers won't be, either.
Create a Character Clinic Class
Ebook in Kindle, ePub, and printable PDF formats
Downloadable, printable worksheets
(retake this class alone or with other
writers as often as you like)
Forum Discussions, Brainstorming, and Help
*Any purchases on this site will remain available to you if you log in at least once a year and keep your email address current.